Visa Documents requirement
Dear Applicants, please make sure to read carefully the presentation text below.
We regret that we are not able to accept incomplete applications. Therefore, please ensure that you provide all of the required documents and that the application form is fully completed and signed. The list of documents below is not an exhaustive list of documents and the applicant can always be asked to provide additional information/ documents, if desired by the Mission.
Both the standard and the supporting documentation have to be recent, i.e. not older than 1 month and need to be provided for every Schengen visa application.
Applicants always have to bring and present their original documents, but they only need to submit photocopies of the same; unless the requirements specify that an original document has to be submitted. Before gathering the required documents mentioned below, applicants are advised to read the requirements under Overview in order to ensure they are entitled to apply for the chosen visa category.
For Greek/ EU and Swiss national family member, please click here.
For Minors, please click here.
A. STANDARD DOCUMENTATION FOR SCHENGEN VISA APPLICATION
- Visa application form (original) (see here)
- Passport (original and photocopy)
Signed passport, at least 2 blank pages for visa purposes, must be valid for at least 90 days beyond the return date of the trip to the Schengen Area and has to be issued within the last 10 years on the day of leaving the Schengen Area.
The extended passport may still be valid, but when older than 10 years the passport is no longer acceptable; in that case applicant first needs to apply for a new passport.
Photocopies of previous Schengen visas endorsed in an old passport and issued in the last 3 years, if applicable.
- UK Residence permit and photocopy.
UK Residence permit, endorsed in the passport or issued as a Biometrics card, must be valid for at least 90 days beyond the return date of the trip to the Schengen Area; C type visitor visa (see here) is not acceptable.
- Photograph (original) (see here)
B. SUPPORTING DOCUMENTATION FOR SCHENGEN VISA APPLICATION
- Proof of current occupation
- Employer letter (original): recent (less than 1 month old) signed employer’s cover letter confirming applicant’s employment and addressed to the Mission and last 3 months payslips
- Student letter (original): recent (less than 1 month old) signed university/ college/ school letter, which is addressed to the Mission
- Self- employment letter (original): recent (less than 1 month) signed cover letter confirming applicant’s self-employment, addressed to the Mission and obtained from (if applicable):
- applicant’s accountant: when applicant’s company’s accountancy is done by an external/ independent accountant
- solicitor: when applicant’s company has been registered by a solicitor
- bank manager: when applicant’s company has a business bank account
- Companies House: Certificate of Incorporation received upon registering business: if applicant’s name is not mentioned on certificate, then additional proof demonstrating connection applicant – company should be provided
- Unemployed/ retired
- Receiving Benefits: recent original letter obtained from local Jobcentre or Pension Service
- Housewife/ man (only applicable to married couples): applicant’s may be sponsored by their spouse/ registered partner; in these cases the following needs to be provided:
- marriage certificate (original + copy): when this document was issued outside the EU and is not in English or Greek, then it should be translated by a certified translator in the U.K.
- spouse/ registered partner’s passport (copy)
- spouse/ registered partner’s proof of occupation (as in B.1.a, b or c)
- spouse/ registered partner’s proof of funds
- spouse/ registered partner’s cover letter (signed & dated) confirming sponsorship
- Proof of funds
Latest 3 months UK bank statements showing applicant’s name, address and an end balance dated within the last month on the visa application submission date; balance needs to have a minimum amount of £ 40.00/day of stay in the Schengen Area + outstanding accommodation and travel fees (alternatively online bank account printouts are also accepted).
UK bank statements covering less than 3 months are not accepted, even if the bank account was recently opened, as the welcome letters from the bank are not accepted as supporting document; also note that international bank statements are not accepted.
Travellers’ cheques, covering the same amount as explained above, can only be submitted as an additional document to the bank statements and not as a substitute of the bank statements.
Please note in case of minors, proof of funds from 1 parent is required.
- Proof of travel (airplane, train, boat, coach, (hired) car)
Fully paid return travel tickets: mentioning applicant’s name and travel dates to and from the Schengen Area. (Payments for travel tickets should only be made using an UK bank account; payments made using an international bank account are not acceptable). Only travel tickets bought from travel agencies based in Greece or the UK submitted along with the receipt of payment and e-tickets provided by airline companies can be sent to the Embassy. Travel tickets provided by travel agencies out of the UK cannot be accepted, even with a receipt/ invoice or payment confirmation.
- When travelling by car: car registration, car insurance, return travel tickets (ferry or Eurotunnel) mentioning the car’s registration number and driver’s driving licence. If applicant is not the driver, then driver’s cover letter (signed & dated) confirming joint travel with applicant and travel dates need to be provided too.
The receipt or payment confirmation should state no outstanding balance due to be paid (Payments receipts issued by travel agents should be in English).
- Proof of accommodation
Confirmed accommodation (hotel, hostel, camping etc) reservation mentioning applicant’s name, travel dates and accommodation address details. If the applicant’s name is not mentioned on the accommodation reservation, then a joint travel confirmation letter, signed and dated by the person whose name is on the reservation, must also be provided along with a photocopy of that same person’s passport/ ID card + passport signature page, if signature is not on passport’s bio page. When accommodation is reserved for a group, then a list with the names of the group members will also be required; alternatively the group members their names may also be mentioned on the travel ticket.
Accommodation provided by family/friends in Greece: applicant’s host’s recent (not older than 1 month) cover letter (signed & dated) – confirming travel period and address of stay – is required, along with a copy of host’s passport’s bio page and the host’s permit of stay in Greece, if host is a non EU citizen. The host also needs to have the signature on the invitation letter authorised by a Greek authority (police, honorary consulate etc). In case the signature is not authorised by a Greek authority, then the applicant also needs to provide the host’s proof of residence (tenancy agreement, deeds of property etc) in addition to above mentioned documents.
- Travel insurance (all-risk medical travel insurance)
The travel insurance – clearly showing the applicant’s name – has to be valid throughout the complete territory of the Schengen Area and must cover the entire period of the applicant’s intended stay in the Schengen Area; the minimum coverage for medical emergency and repatriation (in case of death clause included) must be 30.000 €.
- Business: Proof of business invitation (additionally)
Invitation letter from a company/ business in Greece confirming the purpose of visit, travel dates and arrangements for accomodation/ travel (if applicable).
- Family member of Greek citizen/ EU citizen (additionally):
- Greek/ EU citizen’s passport or ID card (original to be seen and photocopy)
- Proof of relation to Greek/ EU citizen: marriage/ birth certificate (original to be seen and photocopy), if not in English or Greek, then translation by a certified tranlator in the U.K. of the same is required.